New Volunteer Orientation Class
You can help in the preservation, recovery and stewardship of Hawaii’s endangered and threatened marine species.
Are you interested in joining our Field Response Team? Or, do you want to help on our Education & Outreach or our Dispatch & Reporting Team?
To help on any of our volunteer teams, there is a 3-step process:
(1) If you have not already done so, please complete the online volunteer application form at http://www.h-mar.org/apply.
(2) Next, attend our orientation class. Our last class was held on April 29, 2017 and the next class date has not yet been scheduled. If you complete the online form listed above you will be sent an email invitation as we approach the next class date with details.
(3) Field training. In the days following the orientation, we’ll arrange for you to receive “on the job” training to actually perform volunteer duties. That way, you’ll be confident, effective and have the most fun possible while helping in species preservation and recovery.
DETAILS ON THE NEXT ORIENTATION CLASS
- Field Response Orientation Class – Next Date Not Yet Scheduled
- Location: The Box Jelly (shared workspace) at 307C Kamani Street located in the Kakaako area on the island of Oahu. (See map below)
- An RSVP is required to attend the orientation. Once the next training date has been set and you receive an invitation, please email your RSVP to email@example.com and just say “I’m coming.”
In this orientation, we will cover the natural history, conservation status and species recovery plan for one of the most endangered marine mammals on earth – the Hawaiian monk seal. You’ll learn about our organization’s roles and activity, volunteer expectations and we will share some real-world scenarios of what it’s like to be a volunteer for Hawaii Marine Mammal Alliance.
The training location is a little difficult to spot from the street. The picture to the right shows what the location looks like from the street. Parking can be limited on the street so please give yourself extra time to find a parking spot, either on the streets in the area, or about 1 block away on Ward Avenue where there is a former Sports Authority store as well as Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. There is also parking at the Ward Warehouse shopping center at the corner of Ward and Queen Street about a block away.
The orientation will run for about 3 1/2 hours and we will have a short break during the training if you wish to bring a snack or lunch. Please be on time. The session begins at 11:00 am sharp so give yourself some extra time for traffic and parking.
An RSVP is required to attend the orientation. Once the next training date has been set and you receive an invitation, please email your RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org and just say “I’m coming.” Your RSVP is very important to make sure we have training materials ready for all participants.
Here is a map showing the location for the new volunteer orientation class: